[Avodah] KSA, MB, AhS, Chayei Adam and other codes

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 13 14:14:14 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 10:29:26AM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
: Micha Berger wrote:
:>But according to RALichtenstein, the iqar of RYBS's objection is that if
:>one could simply invoke hafka'as qiddushin in this way, we could throw
:>out much of Yevamos, Gittin, Even haEzer, etc...

: I don't understand this.  Didn't Rabbi Soloveitchik rule that we need an
: explicit tradition about makom hamizbeah, rather than our best
: deduction.  Why didn't he reject that opinion as well, since it requires
: us to throw out much of sidrei kodshim and tohoros?

Apples and oranges.

RYBS doesn't believe in two kinds of innovation (at least).

1- The general Brisker belief that only halakhah can create halakhah,
and science without mesorah can't establish din. So, it would take
Eliyahu haNavi to restore techeiles, identify maqom hamiqdash, etc...
(It's not throwing out qodeshim, it's postponing it.)

2- There is a concept of halachic engineering; finding a means to change
the situation to one where an issur doesn't apply. E.g. heter iska. RER
is proposing another example of engineering. However, RYBS doesn't
believe one can accept engineering that oviously must have crossed R'
Aqiva Eiger's mind and that he didn't recommend. That alone is proof
that the engineering doesn't work.

An objection that's only an issue to prove the engineering is no good,
and not about other kinds of innovation.

Anyone can think of annullment. Not a major chiddush. Yet the gemara
has peraqim of how to deal with the problem in more painful ways. This
is proof, in RYBS's eyes, that annullement can't be a real option.

But speaking a little more broadly... Hafka'as qidushin was never invoked
the way RER did, with (1) no maaseh on the part of the husband, and (2)
in a case by case fashion. He's taking an idea that historically was a
declaration saying "from now on, all marriages of tyupe X don't work"
or "from now on, all divorces of type Y are binding", and saying that it
give him right to annull a marriage because the husband is a vindictive
menuval who won't give a get? How are the two similar? One needn't buy
into RYBS's reasonining to say RER has no source for placing this within
the traditional concept of hafkaas qiddushin.