[Avodah] Hating a Meisis to Kefirah, Should be - Hating any Jew

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 8 12:29:42 PDT 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:18:44 +1000, "Meir Rabi" <meirabi at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> There is a prohibition to hate a fellow Jew IN ONES HEART. That means
> secretly. There is no prohibition transgressed if one discloses that
> hatred.

Actually, that's not true as the Kesef Mishnah understands the Rambam. This
comment motivated me to finally turn part of a talk of mine from last year
into a blog entry. (The other parts were already on Aspaqlaria in other
forms.) See <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2008/08/hatred.shtml>.

And if one discloses the hatred, then even according to the others (which
includes Rashi, Ramban and the Yad Qetana's peshat in the Rambam), you
would probably still be oveir "lo siqom velo sitor". It's just not "sin'ah
bilvavekha". The Yad Qetana suggests that sin'ah beleiv is a worse kind of
sin'ah because it stews. (Ever notice how the guy who went postal "always"
surprises the people interviewed by the reporter. "He was such a quiet
guy...")

After using it to conclude that "sin'as chinam" means sin'ah for chinam, ie
pointless hatred, rather than sin'ah because of chinam (for insufficient
cause), I see R' Binyamin Hecht (CC-ed) reaches a similar conclusion on
Nishma. You can see his treatment at
<http://www.nishma.org/articles/insight/insight5757-22.htm> and
<http://www.nishma.org/articles/insight/insight5757-23.htm>. Very similar
arguments, although he pulls from R' Meir vs Beruriah and yitm'u chata'im,
and I went a couple of degrees off from that direction, choosing not to
revisit the "hate the sin, not the sinner" theme.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Fax: (270) 514-1507