[Avodah] Hating a Meisis to Kefirah, Should be - Hating any Jew

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:59:04 PDT 2008

Meir Rabi wrote:
> I don't really follow the discussion.
> There is a prohibition to hate a fellow Jew IN ONES HEART. That means
> secretly. There is no prohibition transgressed if one discloses that hatred.

First, AFAIK, this is a machlokes Rambam and Ramban; I don't know how we
posken.  Second, there are still other mitzvos which one violates by
hating improperly (v'ahavta l'reiecha kamocha, for example).  So,
without taking a position (in this post) regarding when it is proper to
hate, one cannot avoid the problem of a safek case by only hating in the
heart.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu