[Avodah] Hating a Meisis to Kefirah, Should be - Hating any Jew

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 17:26:10 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Doron Beckerman <beck072 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some potential differences between hating a Meisis and a regular Rasha:
>
> __

BePashtus the G'mara distinguishes between a Rasha gamur and A Rash that is
NOT gamur

Lemme give a practical case:
I have debated people on this list re: the ikar being mussar or kehilah nad
I plan to post on this in the future BEH.

In the meantime, a fellow in TEaneck was famous for his acts of Hessed on
beahlf of the community but also notroious for his gruff behaviour to many
sensitive people in the community.

In the mussar school he was a failure and in the community school he was a
gadol.  Such a person is almost be definition NEVER a rasha gamur because at
heart he has the best interests of the community. OTOH, he can be a "rasha"
of sorts in this he does hurt individuals [either emotionally or monetarily]
and has no remorse nad is not mekabbel tochacha.

We really cannot totally hate this person, but he might be sona'acha in the
case of prikah/t'einah. Becuase even when we tell him he as wrong so-and-so
no one in their right mind would shun him due to his overwhlming acts of
Hessed.

To be a Rasha Gamur AISI you gotta be out to harm the community in general,
or perhaps Judaism in general. A Self-hating Jew who is moseir, could be
such a perosn. Perhaps Bobby Fisher [had he been Halachically Jewish vai his
Mom] could have fallen under this rubric-. because he was out to hurt Jews
and Israel.

another illustration:
The Rasha at the Seder was described by Rabbi Maruice Lamm once as "a
lovable Rasha."

IOW it is NOT ok to hate Mr. Gruff ba'al Hessed - although one might avoid
him for the sake of Shalom, OTOH hating Bobby Fisher might be a mitzva. That
is how I distinguish between the simple "rasha" and the "rasha gamur".

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com