[Avodah] Can you build a community around Halakhic Man?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 31 08:06:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:46:22AM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: I think we'll agree to disagree but it seems that you are focusing on
: psak while I'm focusing on the learning process....

I agree we're probably going to stop here, but I thought I should
explain why I wouldn't focus on the learning process:

1- Halakhic Man does not.

2- Learning the product of someone else's creativity isn't the same as
being creative. And being innovative in theoretical lomdus (something
that happens here on Avodah all the time) isn't helping one navigate
the twin peaks YU calls "Torah" and "Madda". It's bedavka about
creatively applying Torah to the world. (Which is the reason why
theoretical lomdus isn't the centerpiece of Halakhic Man.)

Aside from the fact that I think your point is slightly different than
the Rav's derekh:

If someone were to shift emphasis to creativity in learning, one is
detaching the creativity from vekivshuha, and would need a separate
reason to justify doing so in YU rather than moving down to Lakewood.

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507