[Avodah] Can you build a community around Halakhic Man?

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Jul 31 07:46:22 PDT 2008

The problem is that I disagree with your next statement:
:> You don't want half-baked lomdus and people pasqening for themselves
:> from ignorance.

: no, you want them seeking a little more understanding each time (the
: guide by their side rather than the sage on the stage) and that's
their
: creativity

I disagree that that's "creativity". Posqim create; sho'alim follow.
Understanding someone else's pesaq isn't partnering with G-d in
creation, it's submitting to his superior knowledge/gestalt. Emunas
Chakhamim in a non-contraversial sense of the words -- trusting their
halakhic statements.

When the typical balebas thinks he can create his own pesaq in response
to his own encounter with the modern, what follows isn't quite shemiras
hamitzvos.

And this is why I'm asserting that there is no path from here to there
for the masses who will never develop that skill. There is a
disadvantage to being partway there until you reach that threshold. And
what results is compartmentalization and compromise.

I am also assering that of the derakhim that are currently popular,
RYBS's may be unique in having that trench in which being partway there
is worse than not trying.

=============================

I think we'll agree to disagree but it seems that you are focusing on
psak while I'm focusing on the learning process. R" M Rosenzweig in his
shiur on dachei limud mentions the difference between psak (only
chachmei hamesora) and learning a sugya not lmaaseh as an area where one
can have greater freedom to innovate.  Anything else I say will be
repetitive of my prior post so I'll leave it at that.

KT
Joel Rich

--
Micha Berger             It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
micha at aishdas.org        suffering, but only to one's own suffering.