[Avodah] Can you build a community around Halakhic Man?

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Thu Jul 31 10:49:03 PDT 2008

Three preliminary comments:

1. I think you denigrate "the masses".  Looking up a halacha in Shemirat
Shabbat K'Hilchatah is indeed paskening, and consulting an English
translation to clarify what Rashi means is indeed hiddush.  That it is
de rigeur nowadays to send kids to yeshiva both during the years of
obligatory schooling and afterwards is sufficient evidence that most of
the next generation will be capable of psak and hiddush.

2.  I don't think the author of Halachic man thought of himself as a
halachic man.  "Halacha has a fixed a priori relationship to the whole
of reality"(Kaplan's translation p.23)  Yet halacha has no concept
corresponding to the Kantian "a priori".  That Rabbi Soloveitchik had to
use a concept external to halacha to delineate it is adequate evidence,
not only that he did not construe himself as a halachic man, but also
that halachic man is not interested in a Torah UMadda type of
synthesis.  He just doesn't care about Madda, since its categories are
not those of halacha.

3.  I don't know what you mean by a community.  You can certainly set up
an intentional community where you and your friends can study Rambam and
Kierkegaard and play Rachmaninoff.  But I think Rabbi Soloveitchik is
describing a personality, not an ideology.  What will you do if your
kids decide to study Rabbeinu Tam and Lucretius and play Bach?  The
problem with using a description of a personality as a guide to behavior
is that personality may not be easy to transmit, either by genetics or
by training.

David Riceman