[Avodah] money and halakhah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 24 14:03:30 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 01:46:43PM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
: I am not so sure. In any case the contemporary seforim such as the
: Bris Yehuda, etc. (take any modern halacha sefer on hilchos Ribis
: written in the last 30 years) all cite these sources (AHS, Chasam
: Sofer, etc.) with respect to money nowadays( which is fiat money), so
: they clearly hold that those opinions apply to fiat money as well.

Thanks, I didn't know the age of some of these sefarim.

Which tells me two things:

1- We hold that fiat money is kesef

2- Whatever sevara we have for gold-backed dollars is the same sevara as
for fiat money. It's not working as a shetar representing baalus of the
gold. (Otherwise, how could teshuvos about gold-backed money be usable
as meqoros?)

Micha Berger             A life of reaction is a life of slavery,
micha at aishdas.org        intellectually and spiritually. One must
http://www.aishdas.org   fight for a life of action, not reaction.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            -Rita Mae Brown