[Avodah] money and halakhah

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Jul 24 13:55:38 PDT 2008

R' Marty Bluke wrote:
> In any case the contemporary seforim such as the Bris
> Yehuda, etc. (take any modern halacha sefer on hilchos
> Ribis written in the last 30 years) all cite these
> sources (AHS, Chasam Sofer, etc.) with respect to money
> nowadays( which is fiat money), so they clearly hold
> that those opinions apply to fiat money as well.

I wrote it before and again: What is "money" for one halacha is not necessarily "money" for another halacha. Each situation must be looked at on its own.

It seems obvious to me that fiat money is subject to Hilchos Ribis, because it is expected that the $20 bill I give you next week will be a different one than the $20 bill you gave me last week.

Maaser Sheni, OTOH, can't be redeemed with just any sort of kesef, because of what is learned from "v'tzarta" in Devarim 14:25.

And other halachos - eg, kiddushin - don't really need money at all, as shaveh kesef will suffice.

Akiva Miller