[Avodah] vsalachta

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 24 13:45:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 07:01:35PM +0200, Arie Folger wrote:
: I have a theory, based on the standard kavanot in the sheimot, that the YKVK
: sheimot denote the long term, while ADNY and E-LOHIM denote immediacy.

Except that Havayah, aside from connoting lema'alah min hazeman (yihyeh,
hove, hayah) and Cause of existence, is also middas haRachamim. Motherhood,
being in the rechem of rachamim, is about as immediate as you can get.

Adnus implies Someone Whose law we should follow, connoting individuality
(the qamatz yud suffix) of the follower and moral law. E-lokim is the
master of all kochos, not just one follower, and includes His mastery
of natural law. (And therefore I'm not sure about its immediacy.)

Adnus must be similar in intent to Havayah, a more approachable version,
since that would explain why we read sheim Havayah as though Adnus was
written. Havayah is compassionate because He Causes us, because he is
so much greater than us. Adnus is close enough for us to serve; not be
overwhelmed and passive recipients. So WRT to that chiluq on grounds of
immediacy, which is the only one necessary to answer the opening question
of "yeileih na Ad-nai beqirbeinu", I would agree.

Micha Berger             Take time,
micha at aishdas.org        be exact,
http://www.aishdas.org   unclutter the mind.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm