[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 08:47:11 PDT 2008

>   From: "Richard Wolpoe"  <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com>
>> people in a coma.  Should we deny both the patient and the nuns this act of
>> Hessed lest  someone construe them as "legitimate?" <<
>  --
>

>   Neither I nor  any Orthodox
> rabbi, not even Rabbiner Hirsch himself, would object to a  Reform rabbi
> shaving a person in a coma. [--old  TK]
>

>>   1. So if a Reform  Rabbi serves as chaplain in Hospital X you are saying
unequivocally that it is NOT a recognition of his  legitimacy?<<

Do the nuns shave comatose patients in their role as nurses or in their  role
as chaplains?

If a Reform rabbi or a Reform Jew were a doctor or a nurse, I would not see
a problem with using their services.

If shaving a patient is part of some Catholic rite, like baptism, then I
certainly would /not/ want the nun to do that.

If a Reform rabbis serves as a chaplain in a hospital, that certainly DOES
confer legitimacy in a way that is completely different from a Reform Jew
serving as a doctor in the hospital.

As a patient I would not welcome a visit from a Reform chaplain.

But I have no control over what a hospital does.  But if it was an
Orthodox-run hospital, I would certainly object strenuously to their hiring R/C
chaplains. As to an Orthodox rabbi serving as a chaplain in a  non-Jewish hospital
where the other chaplains are R and C rabbis -- or  serving as a chaplain in
the American army, ditto -- that is a very gray  area.  Many would not permit
it, others would.

As for granting legitimacy to Catholic nuns, it is no concern of mine
whether Protestants or other Christian sects consider a Catholic nun or priest
"legitimate."  To me anybody who claims to be a nun, monk, priest or  minister is
"legitimate" -- as long as they don't claim to be a representative  or officer
of JUDAISM.

--Toby  Katz

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.