[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun Jul 13 00:03:46 PDT 2008

On Friday, 11. July 2008 17.33:24 avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org wrote:
>    1. Meetings  at secular events [NOT AT A SEDER] with non-O clergy does
>    not confer legitimacy. This is an old battle and is obsolete. It only
>    confers de facto reality no more than their being a shul presiident or
> to non-Jewish Clergy.  Fro example at Soveit Jewry Rallies non_jewish
> clergy spoek and so did non-O Rabbis. Does not mean that we can ride to
> shul the next shabos.

I respectfully disagree. Where joint appearance could be acceptable and
desirable, I think religious leaders should blend into the background. Let
lay leaders do it and you won't confer legitimacy; have religious leaders act
and you give it willy nilly a strong religious aspect.

BTW, based on my experience as the rabbi of a grossen Gemeinde, or, as it is
known nowadays, an Einheitsgemeinde, I can tell you that Austritt is an
important concept that deserves a lot more credit, but it i being abused, as
well. I a sense, I disagree with the detractors of Austritt as a principle
and with those who believe that nowadays no legitimation is implied in joint
appearances with  to'im, but at the same time I must say that there is such a
thing as excessive Austritt. It is true that current day situations do not
resemble those of Rav Hirsch's day.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger