[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 09:05:45 PDT 2008

In a message dated 7/11/2008, rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com writes:

below]  The Red Sox come to Yankee  Stadium, does any Yankee Fan have

any desire to  Ausrtitt   the hated enemy by not letting him to play in   the
very Holy of Holies that is Yankee Stadium!   << [--RRW]

This is a particularly ill-chosen analogy since it does imply that O  and C
are just two different home teams, eilu ve'elu.  How about having  Yankee
Stadium host a game between the Yankees and the Nuclear Weapons  Engineers of Iran?
 That would be a better analogy. [TK]

>>So R & C jews are as evil as Iranians  Islamo-Fasicists.
that puts a different spin on the Holocaust. This implies  that mostly
resh'a'im got killed and we should be celebrating not  mourning

this is a good reason to show how Austritt  demonizes fellow Jews. It's a
GREAT  illustration.<<

RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com

It's unfortunate that you don't read Areivim  because I have addressed this
very point literally dozens of times.  I  believe that I have addressed it on
Avodah as well but will try again  anyway.  Namely, there is a HUGE difference
between the average C/R layman  and the R/C leadership.  Almost all of the
laity are tinokos shenishbu and  by now, that is also true of many of their
rabbis -- young women who have grown  up in almost total ignorance of Judaism.

The people of Iran are not the leaders of Iran.  I am astonished that  this
distinction is so hard for you to grasp.

I grew up in a household that was dedicated to kiruv and in which non-frum
Jews were regular guests.  I've been married for 30 years to a kiruv
professional and throughout all those years, again, non-frum Jews have been  regular
guests in our home.  My father zt'l would never have walked  into a C or T
temple, would never have shared a platform with "fellow rabbis"  and "colleagues"
in any public forum and would never shake the hands of their  rabbis in public.
 But he was kind and hospitable to thousands  of  non-frum Jews.  How on
earth do you suppose anyone can do kiruv if they  hate non-frum Jews and won't
even talk to them?

You have to understand that it is WE who give C/R rabbis smicha,  by shaking
hands with them and by acknowledging them as colleagues in public  fora --
such as  Federation meetings, Yom Hashoa programs, Israel Day  parades and the
like.  In the eyes of their own congregants, the  legitimacy and authority of
their own rabbis is always slightly suspect, but  when an Orthodox rabbi
publicly shakes the hand of their rabbi and calls him  "colleague," by that act he
ordains the C/R rabbi.

It doesn't matter that you don't personally think so -- you don't think you
are granting the guy legitimacy in your own mind.  I can tell you from
first-hand experience that it IS so -- that C and R laymen look to see what we O
do.  It doesn't take a lot of O rabbis to break ranks.  You only need  the
occasional one here and there, and that is enough to extinguish in the eyes  of the
C/R laity the clear knowledge that C and R are NOT-JUDAISM.  One  rotten
apple spoils the barrel.  This confusion does not exist with regard  to "Jews for
Jesus" or "Messianic Judaism" because there, the entire Orthodox  rabbinate
speaks with one voice and no one breaks ranks.

You keep defining austritt with reference to 19th c Frankfurt, where bitter
battles were fought between Hirsch's kehilla and the gemeinde Orthodox.   And
btw  the latter would have had no shuls, no schools, no kosher food and  no
mikva if not for Hirsch's establishment of austritt -- which gave the  Gemeinde
leverage against the R reshaim they had previously lacked.   The Gemeinde
attitude was "OK your tactics worked, they will agree to give  us what we want, we
don't need austritt anymore, we won, let's  surrender." Great principle.  As
if the R couldn't stop up the mikva  again the minute the O laid down their
weapons.

But that fight is OVER.  It's over.

If you don't like the very word "austritt" because it dredges up painful
memories for you -- fine.  Come up with another word.  We -- TIDE, RW  Jews --
believe in a policy of NON-RECOGNITION of C and R.  Give that  policy another
name, please, or I will just keep on calling it austritt.   You've been warned.

--Toby Katz

President Reagan talked with the Soviets while pushing ahead  with the
deployment of Cruise and Pershing missiles in Europe. He spoke softly —  after
getting himself a bigger stick.  --Mark Steyn