[Avodah] Standing for Kriat Shemah

rebshrink at aol.com rebshrink at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 08:55:26 PDT 2008

The Rav (Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik)?did not kiss his Tzitziot during Kriat Shemah, nor did any rituals out of concern for the phrase "Uvlechtecha baderech" which he understood to mean that one should recite Kriat Shemah in whatever position you find yourself without doing any additional movements.?? Since we are sitting during dovening, we should continue to sit.?? However, if one was standing during Tefilat Shacharit, one would at the least be in no?way obligated to sit except perhaps for reasons of Kavanah.??? If one says that one must sit lest one appear to violate Chazal's Pesak in accordance?with Beit Hillel that Uvkumecha is talking about time not position, then one should certainly not wear one's Tzitziot of his Talit Katan outisde? lest one assume that Uretem Oto implies the need to see one's Tzitziot rather than our Torah Shebaal Peh Pesak that it refers to the need to place Tzitziot on day time garments.

Kol Tuv,

Stu Grant?