[Avodah] Eved Kenaani (was: [Areivim] The conversion controversy)

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Aug 26 16:43:16 PDT 2008

On Areivim, torahmike at gmail.com wrote:
> The gemora in yavamos in the 6th perek graphically describes the way
> he's forced to accept. Ayen Sham v'eTimza nachas.

Where?  The only reference I can find is in the 4th perek, and all it
says is that if after a year he won't accept the mitzvot, then the
owner must sell him down the river.  This is brought lehalacha in
Rambam and SA, with no mention of forcing him to accept.

>   But doesn't the Rambam posken Eved Kenani is not noheg
> nowadays(against the Ra'vad)?

Where?  I can't see any such psak in Hil' Avadim.  It certainly seems
to be brought as practical halacha, both in Rambam and in Shulchan Aruch.
Even the Rema seems to treat it as practical contemporary halacha
(e.g YD 267:4, where he deals with the fact that "in these countries"
it's illegal to convert anyone).

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.