[Avodah] Question about the Six Constant Mitzvos

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Aug 27 03:30:12 PDT 2008

Of the 613 Mitzvos, there are Six Constant Mitzvos.
Rather than requiring the performance of a certain action,
these mitzvos are a state of being, of living with the reality
of God's existence. The Six Constant Mitzvos are:

* Know there is a God.
* Don't believe in other gods.
* God is one.
* Love God.
* Fear God.
* Don't be misled by your heart and eyes.

Here's my question: The first, third, fourth and fifth of the above
constant mitzvos obviously all deal with God.  I know people who
are decent, philanthropic, kind, considerate, and observe every law
of the state, who are "convinced" there is no God. And I'm not
speaking about a MLT.
Though many will consider it an oxymoron, there are very ethical
atheists with impeccable integrity.

Can they be punished for not believing in God or what we perceive as
an apikorus?

As Spiritual Leader, I've been asked this question. I'm not happy with
any
of my responses, but I've answered some using the "tinuk shenishba"
defense.
Also, Avos 2:14 was not helpful.
Any insights?

ri