[Avodah] Mitzvah to accept gerim?

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:54:11 PDT 2008

We've had some discussion, a few months ago AFAIK, about whether there
is a mitzvah to accept someone who wants to convert (but has not yet),
or whether perhaps our obligation (to love the ger) only begin after
the conversion has been completed.

I just saw in the Shiur Times (a local parsha-sheet-like magazine for
the dati-tzioni community) for June 2008, in "Declaring Faith" by
Rebbetzin Chana Bracha Siegelbaum (of Midreshet B'erot Bat Ayin), page
10, the following sources. The overall thrust of the article is that
indeed, we must welcome those who are desirous of converting. He
primary sources are:

Rabbi Abahu said, "Come and see how precious are proselytes to the
Holy One, blessed be He. Once she [Ruth] had SET HER HEART ON
CONVERTING*, Scripture placed her in the same rank as Naomi, as it is
said: "And they both walked till they came to Bethlehem" (Ruth 1:19)
(Yalkut Shimoni, Ruth Chapter 1, 601).
* - emphasis in original article

"Go Return" - Rabbi Shmuel Bar Chiya said in the name of Rabbi
Chanina, "return" is written three times here, corresponding to the
three times one must push away a convert. If he persists we accept
him. Rabbi Yitzchak says: "But the stranger shall not lodge in the
street; I will open my doors to the traveler" (Iyov 31:32). One must
always push away with the left [hand] and bring close with the right
[hand] (Yalkut Shimoni, ibid.)

Do these sources bear her (the article's author) claims out? I'm not
in Avodah anymore, but I thought I'd bring this for everyone else's
benefit.

Mikha'el Makovi