[Avodah] eved kenani

Chaim G Steinmetz cgsteinmetz at juno.com
Wed Aug 27 07:27:58 PDT 2008

"Eli Turkel" <eliturkel at gmail.com>writes

> <<If one captures a slave, is he not automatically given the status
> of a
> woman vis-a-vis Mitzvah obligation? This is what I aways assumed
> when
> learning those sugyos in the Gemarah dealing with Avodim.
>
> I can't imagine first asking a slave if he will be Mekabel the Ol
> Mitzvos
>  just before we capture him. I thought capturing him made him
> automatically obligated -  whether he or she likes it or not.>>
>
> We all know the various questions that arise with a person who is
> half an
> eved kenani and half a Jew because one of two owners freed the
> slave.
> I recently saw a question concerning someone who is half Jewish and
> half
> non-Jewish. How is that possible?
> The case is again an eved kenani with 2 owners. However, now the
> eved kenani
> refuses to keep mitzvot. Thus he has a din of a nonJew not an eved
> kenani.
> When one owner frees him he is half Jewish and half nonJewish.
>
> --
> Eli Turkel

You should look in the Rambam hil Issurei Biah which was referenced.
Concerning a case of someone half Jewish and half non-Jewish - there IS
such a case like that in the Minchas Chinuch mizvah 347 (p 542-3 in the
new editions), but the the way one gets there is totally different and is
talking about a different eved altogether ayin shom.
I would recommend going through that MC, where he outlines 3 types of
eved with all the details.
CGS