[Avodah] Bracha on Megillah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Aug 15 07:07:49 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 08:44:43PM -0400, Henry Topas wrote:
> Can someone remind me why we only make a bracha on Megilat Esther?

AFAIK there is no obligation to read any of the other megilot.
Shir Hashirim, Ruth, and Kohelet are just a minhag Ashkenaz.
Eicha is a universal minhag, but still just a minhag.  If you don't
read it, it's no big deal.  So how can you say "asher kidshanu
bemitzvotav vetzivanu"?  Who commanded you?  Not the Torah and not
Chazal.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.