[Avodah] Bracha on Megillah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 15 08:34:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:07:49AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
:                             So how can you say "asher kidshanu
: bemitzvotav vetzivanu"?  Who commanded you?  Not the Torah and not

I agree with your thesis, but this line bother's me.

Going back to Feb 2002, RYGB pointed to Mamrim 1:2 to
show that minhagim are covered by lo sasur. So, wouldn't that mean that
it's the same "vetzivanu", since it's the same tzivui when one follows
a minhag as when one follows a derabbanon. Instead
> We do not make berachos on them nevertheless, as that is part of their
> "etzem cheftza": "D'lav toras mitzvos be'hu l'vareich aleihen, d'rak
> al mitzvos mevorchin, v'lo al minhagos."
And then proves this from Rambam, Megillah 3:7.

R' Yitzchok Zirkind added:
> Just to add: see Rambam last Halacha in Hil. Brochos, and see Rashi
> D"H Minhag Sukka 44a, even though that Tos. D"H Omar Taanis 28b (and
> other ones noted there) hold otherwise, and see Sdei Chemed Asifas Dinim
> M'areches Brochos # 14.

IOW, it would seem that one can argue that the only thing that makes
a minhag not a derabbanan is that the rabbanim chose not to use the
concept of tzivui, and thus it's not "vetzivanu".

(Perhaps a mashal from the army -- your superior officer can request
you get him coffee, or he could order you to get him coffee [assuming
such personal orders are legal in this particular army].)

Which would be a different shitah than what I was arguing, that minhagim
are only ratified by rabbanim, not created by them. Although the two
could coexist.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507