[Avodah] money and halakhah

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 22:10:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, kennethgmiller at juno.com <
kennethgmiller at juno.com> wrote:

> R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> > A ring is shveh kesef, not actual kesef.  You could be
> > mekadesh just as easily with a can of baked beans.  But
> > perhaps not with fiat money.
>
> I honestly don't see why fiat money is less of a shaveh kesef than baked
> beans.
>
> On the contrary, I could easily make a kal vachomer: Just as one can be
> mekadesh with baked beans (which some people might decline), certainly one
> can be mekadesh with fiat money (which no one would decline).
>
> Akiva Miller
>
> _

As I posted today's kitzur [145] rejects banknotes for pidyon habein, but
aiui excepts shava kessef.  You can do the hair splits.

Remember if I tear up a shtar chov I do NOT tear up the Chov, only the
Evidence of a Chov. The Chov is still there and the only damage is that I
destoyed a document that makes things convenient.

Now I am not saying fiat money is 100% the same as a shtar chov but it is
certainly not 100% the same as tangible kessef/silver or mamon. Fiat money
is a bit of a gray area, I don't find it to be blakc and white nor do I find
the debate nonsensical.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com