[Avodah] money and halakhah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jul 11 11:01:27 PDT 2008

Richard Wolpoe wrote:

> As I posted today's kitzur [145] rejects banknotes for pidyon habein,
> but aiui excepts shava kessef.  You can do the hair splits.

Pidyon haben is different than kiddushin.  In Pidyon haben, you're
not giving the money to the kohen but to HKBH.  The kohen is zoche
mishulchan gavoah.  So the question is whether HKBH, who is not a
subject of the issuing authority, and nor is He a tagar, will accept
it.

> Remember if I tear up a shtar chov I do NOT tear up the Chov, only the
> Evidence of a Chov. The Chov is still there and the only damage is that
> I destoyed a document that makes things convenient.

Whereas if you destroy a $20 note, what happens?  It's gone.  There
*is* no "chov", there never was one.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.