[Avodah] Yotzei Mitzraim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jun 17 10:13:18 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:06:52AM -0400, RAG <Galsaba at aol.com> wrote:
: Reading Baba Batra 117A, and also the explaination of the Rashbam , it is not
: clear to me what the difference is between the two Tanaim, Rabbi Yoshya and
: Rabbi Yonatan. It looks like no matter if dividing the land was based on the
: parents who left egypt, or based on the childern that entered the country of
: Israel, either way dividing of the land will be equal between the fathers who
: left egypt, so if one father (Reuven) has 10 children and the other one (Shimon)
: has one child, the land of Shimon's child will be about 10 times bigger than
: the land of each of Reuven's children. If this is the case, then what ois the
: difference between the opinions of the two Tanaim?

The Rashbam ("leba'ei ha'aretz nechliqah ha'aretz") writes that according
to R' Yonasan, Re'uvein's children would end up with a total of 10 times
the land of Shim'on's child. "Aval achshav ha'asarah notelin 10 chalaqim,
veha'echad noteil cheileq echad."

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 01:23:42PM -0400, he continued:
: The Peirush that I liked is the one of the Tosafot. To my understanding here
: is the difference:
: If the Chaluka is to Yotzei Mitzraim (those who left Egypt themselves) , then
: only the "Not Tefelim" get a piece of land. "Not Tefelim" are those that are
: not women, or more than 20 years old.

As I understand them, Tosafos do not so much deal with how the land
is divided to fit population, but the inheritence issue. This ties to
the gemara's focus - benos Tzelafchad. Benos Tzelafchad were tefeilim,
so that they wouldn't show in the census, but do end up inheritors --
if Tzelafchad actually got land.

This raises the issue of how R' Yoshiya connects the land to yotz'ei
Mitzrayim. Does the land retroactively belong to the yotz'ei Mitzrayim?
If not, how did benos Tzelafchad have anything to inherit?

If the land is given to the yotz'ei Mitzrayim, and the yotzei passed
away, his bechor would get double. If it was given to the ba'ei aretz,
then all get equally.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.