[Avodah] Yotzei Mitzraim

Galsaba at aol.com Galsaba at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 10:23:42 PDT 2007

The Peirush that I liked is the one of the Tosafot. To my understanding here
is the difference:
If the Chaluka is to Yotzei Mitzraim (those who left Egypt themselves) , then
only the "Not Tefelim" get a piece of land. "Not Tefelim" are those that are
not women, or more than 20 years old.
In this case, if Reuven is older than 20 years old, he will not get a share
for his children. In reality, he himself gets nothing, because he was the one
that left Mitzrayim, so he would die in the desert, and his childern will be
the ones to inheret the land.  In this case, even if his children are "Tefelim",
for example, even if they are less than 20, or women (such as the daughters
of Tzalfachad..)
If the Chaluka is to "Baei Haaretz" (those who came in to Eretz Israel),
then, only the "Not Tefelim" will get piece of land. Indeed, the calculation will
be as we dicussed, the shares will go to the fathers and then to the children,
but only to those that are "Not Tefelim" , ie , older than 20, or men.
In the example you gave on the Seuda Shelishit, the assumption is that both
the 10 sons of Reuven and the one son of Shimon are over 20 years old.
If they are all more than 20, it will be indeed the same ; however, if let's
say 5 of the children are less than 20 years old, than according to the Tana
that say that the land is to Yotzei Mitzraim, all 11 childen gets their pieces.
 But according to the Tana that says that "Baei Haaretz" , then only 6
children will get a piece.
The relevancy to the issue of Benot Tzalfachad is, they got a land because we
probably understand according to the first Tana (Yotzei Mitzraim) otherwise,
if it is according to the second Tana, they are not deserve any piece, because
they are "Tefelim" (as women).
aaron galsaba