[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 10:48:47 PDT 2007

Zev Sero wrote:
> On the contrary, EY would be the last place I'd expect it to apply.
> Isn't almost all milk in EY CY?  Or is it all milked by Thais now,
> with no supervision?  And in other places there isn't enough CY
> production to justify separate herds.  So it's only in the USA that
> one can speak of a difference between CY and non-CY WRT treifot.

Wrong about other places not being able to separate the cows, AFAIK (I will
know more in a few weeks, as we are starting CY supervision and production in
Basel. I will, as you can imagine, be very much involved in this)

In some places (Switzerland) every cow has a passport, and it is possible to
find out which cow has been operated upon. I have no idea what teh
proportions are, and it probably is highly feed dependent, which means that
US cows are probably more affected, as corn is hard to digest. Nonetheless,
we will try to have the problematic cows be milked after we took our day's
production, to avoid this problem. Some hekhsherim do this. I hope to be able
to report a success in this matter, though the farmers' cooperation will be
key here.

Good yom tov,
--
Arie Folger