[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 10:27:00 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 8:24 am, Rich, Joel wrote:
:> In <http://www.wisc.edu/dysci/uwex/nutritn/pubs/tristateda01.pd>,
:> "Prevention of Displaced Abomasum", the literature estimates that LDA
:> (left DA) is 90% of all incidences, and occurse in somewhere between
:> 1.4% - 5.8% of all herds....
:> I therefore to not know how many of the up to 5.8% are actually then
:> milked.

: Interesting stats - which could impact our original 1/60 discussion -
: perhaps chazal assumed (correctly) that the bottom of the now current
: range was the "fact"...

In Chazal's day, fewer animals were fed artificial mixes, and no one
farmed in such bulk, so it was very rare. But in their day, DA would
simply have killed the cow. What makes them baalos mum is the surgery
now performed to save them. The question is new because the metzi'us
is new.

As for bitul beshishim... I haven't caught up to Avodah, and since I
moderate, I know how many relevant posts I didn't read for content.
BUT, I still fail to see the assumption this is a bitul issue.

We recently discussed the machloqes the Rashba and the Rash about a
ta'aroves that includes a mi'ut de'ikka leqaman of cheilev. Three
pieces of fat, two shuman, one cheilev. We don't know which is which,
in a manner that no chatichah is qavu'ah. All may be eaten. But once
mixed as a ta'aroves, the Rosh assurs.

So, according to the Rashba, it should be a simple case of rov, not
bitul beshishim. The ta'aroves doesn't change that. Once we can say
rov cows aren't tereifos, the milk is kosher.

But for the Rash... Here it's more complicated, since the mi'ut of
tereifos are a ruba deleisa leqaman -- it's only statistically that we
say there is bound to be a mi'ut of chalav tereifah. It's not a usual
ta'aroves of known quantities. Can we say bitul beshishim when it's a
ta'aroves whose 1/60 is determined statistically?

Are we even chosheshim for the Rash in such a case?

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,