[Avodah] Zeikher-Tekher (was: Z"L in English)

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 10:31:07 PDT 2007

RMB wrote:
> Bekhol zos, I think your objection is to something not written. His
> talmidim did dispute among themselves (and therefore as a group, mesupaqim)
> which the Gra said meant which. I did not say that they started the
> practice of repeating the verse, not did I intent to imply as much.

My objection is to claiming that the Gra had a theory of two words, zeikher
and zekher. The two words practice surfaced later, as a pesharah between the
Ma'aseh Rav and Rav 'Hayim Volozhiner. The Gra either said zeikher or zekher,
not both, and thus didn't need any theory explaining the difference between
the two. (Most likely he said zeikher.)

The idea behind my objection is that if the Gra held the word was zekher and
didn't indicate in writing or in a well known shiur of his what the
difference was between the occurence of such a word in parshat
me'hiyat 'amaleq and other possible occurences or grammatical forms, then
most likely he didn't feel that there was such a difference. He was most
likely consistent. Only those who tried to make sense out of the common
minhag to do both pronounciations, for whom zekher is a unique grammatical
form, does the need and the opportunity arise to envision such grammatical
theories.

Good good-day (what else should git yom tov translate into? ;-)),
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com