[Avodah] Zeikher-Tekher (was: Z"L in English)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 21 09:41:05 PDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:18:58 +0200, R Arie Folger <afolger at aishdas.org> wrote:
> RMB wrote:
>> The whole think about repeating a pasuq of parashas Zachor arises from
>> this issue. The Gra made a distinction between "zecher" and "zeicher",
>> that one is a memory, and the other a memorial...
>>                              His talmidim were mesupaqim which means
>> which, leaving them debating as to which the Gaon was maqpid on
>> saying.
>
> Eh, I have seen this posted repeatedly. For the record, I'd like to mention
> that this is debatable. Rav 'Haim Volozhiner disputed that the Gra said
> Zekher....

I did later note in my post that RCV was of the "zekher" camp. Based on the
idea that causitive constructions use rounder vowels (think hif'il, pi'el and
pu'al).

Bekhol zos, I think your objection is to something not written. His talmidim
did dispute among themselves (and therefore as a group, mesupaqim) which the
Gra said meant which. I did not say that they started the practice of repeating
the verse, not did I intent to imply as much.

Rather, later rabbanim learning of this uncertainty decided to do a Brisker
"chesheid leshitas" and do both.

Is the second iteration of the pasuq a hefseiq before the berakhah after the
aliyah? It's after the mitzvah, so the whole le'alter issue for birkhos hamitzvah
isn't there; I therefore do not know what constitutes a hefseiq -- hesekh hada'as?
It could be that the practice is truly a "no lose" proposition.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Malchus: What binds different
Fax: (270) 514-1507             people together into one cohesive whole?