[Avodah] shemitta

Mike Miller avodah at mikeage.net
Mon May 21 21:42:24 PDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Samuel Groner <samgroner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't know where to begin arguing with someone who believes that
> "someone who is not very very confident that his mitsvos outweigh his
> averiros should definitely avoid being in EY."  My view is that even
> if we cannot all live in Israel for practical reasons, it is certainly
> the ideal that we all strive to live in Israel if possible.

While I can't say I agree with most of RAYW's comments, it should be
noted that he is currently living in E"Y.

Furthermore, there may be no contradiction in "striving to live in
Israel" and "someone who is not very very confident that his mitsvos
outweigh his averiros should definitely avoid being in EY." Regardless
of whether one is hesitant due to purely spiritual concerns about the
land being more stringent on aveiros, or a combination
spiritual/tangible concern about issues such as chinuch for one's
children (especially teenagers), there are many valid reasons why
Aliyah L'Aretz (whether or not that includes Aliyah L'Medinah) may be
an ideal, but delayed or postponed.

-- Mike Miller
Ramat Bet Shemesh