[Avodah] [Areivim] Rabbi Isak Unna of Mannheim (was Re: Rav Unno)

Moshe Feldman moshe.feldman at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:25:19 PDT 2007

SBA invalidates Rav Yitzchak Unna because the Leo Baeck Institute published
a book about him, and Leo Baeck himself was not Orthodox.
Specifically, he wrote:

> <<I have no idea if Rabbi Unna himself was or wasn't R - but the fact that
> the
> R are publicing him definitely places him, WADR,  in the category of
> 'kabdehu vechashdehu".

I am mocheh.  WADR, this is not only sloppy reasoning (the Leo Baeck
Institute published books about Rav Hildesheimer as well) but violates S"A
OC 606:3, which states that it is prohibited to be motzi shem ra on meisim.

The fact is that Rav Yitzchak Unna was not only Orthodox, but his Teshuvos
Sho'alin v'Dorshin are quoted by the Tzitz Eliezer and Rav Ovadia Yosef.
The Seridei Aish contains tshuvos by Rav Unna, and refers to him as Av Beis
Din of Mannheim.

As to your Google skills: try searching in Hebrew: http://tinyurl.com/yrvlbyand
http://tinyurl.com/2e9x7s.

Kol tuv,