[Avodah] chumrot of sefardim (was "sweet chalot")

mkopinsky at gmail.com mkopinsky at gmail.com
Fri May 11 01:24:07 PDT 2007

On 5/10/07, MPoppers at kayescholer.com <MPoppers at kayescholer.com> wrote:

> I understand the need for, ceteris paribus, maintaining one's Halachah
> even while in the domain of someone whose Halachah is legitimately
> different.  However, as I implied (perhaps not clearly enough) before, the
> situation of being a guest in that someone/host's home involves the host's
> sensibilities.
> As RET noted privately, ROY's p'saq (which, after writing
> "v'lachein min harauy sheyodia' l'ma'archo meirosh shel'minhag haS'faradim
> din challah m'suqah k'din ugah," adds "o shey'da-eig l'havi imo challos
> r'gilos v'yochal meihen v'yatza y'dei chovaso" [any errors in
> transliteration are mine]) might change if there is a possibility that the
> host would be insulted by the actions of a guest following his own
> Halachah if that guest wasn't able to previously speak with his host about
> the issue.  Well, a guest often doesn't know whether or not his host would
> be insulted!
Caveat: I am writing from the perspective of a bochur, not a baal
habayis.

We often have guests with all kinds of special requests - this one's a
vegetarian, this one's allergic to carrots, this one keeps pas yisroel,
etc. etc., and while it does sometimes take extra effort to accommodate
these special needs, it seems strange than any host would be offended by
them.  If a guest politely explained that according to his poskim he
needed a particular type of challos/wine, what is there to be offended
about?  If a guest wants to bring his own challahs that means there isn't
even any extra effort, but if not, there is probably an OK wine bottle in
the cabinet, and there's always bagels in the freezer that you can use, if
necessary.)

KT,
Michael