[Avodah] justifying hating the wicked

Dr. Josh Backon backon at vms.huji.ac.il
Thu May 10 13:33:50 PDT 2007

>On Thu, May 10, 2007 3:22 pm, Dr. Josh Backon wrote:
>: *Tinok shenishba* is discussed in the gemara in Shevuot 5a
>: and Shabbat 68a,b; Rambam Hilchot Shegagot 7:2 and Hilchot
>: Mamrim 3:3.
>:
>
>As I said, this would be more daunting if we didn't hash it out
>already in vol 2 and again in vol 5-6.
>
>RDJB cites Mamrim 3:3. Mamrim explicitly includes those raised in
>non-mesoretic beliefs. Probably the intent is to discuss Qaraim, which
>is a pretty good precedent for looking for how the rishonim would have
>dealt with today's issues. Even if they have contact to real Yahadus
>they are influenced by their upbringing and are anusim and tinoqos
>shenishbe'u. Therefore, the Rambam says it is ra'ui to bring them to
>teshuvah VELIMSHOKH OSAM BEDARKHEI SHALOM ad sheyachzehu le'itan
>haTorah.

In the Tshuvot ha'RADBAZ I 73, the Karaites are deemed invalid
witnesses [*pesulei eidut*] [see also the lengthy discussion in the Beit
Yosef TUR Even Ha'Ezer 4].

All that is understood from the Rambam in the RADBAZ is that in the time
of the Rambam, the Karaites may not have been invalid witnesses but were
*anusim*, especially the many generations after the first Karaites [see
also: Rambam Hilchot Mamrim 3:3].

This is no way suggests that the Rambam ever considered that NOT believing
in the Oral Law as NOT engendering the category of apikorus.

KT

Josh