[Avodah] fashion models and opera singers

torahmike at gmail.com torahmike at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:12:14 PDT 2007

>>The difference(me:  between going around in a bikini and singing) is that
Lifnei Iver is violated in that the viewer of a woman in a bikini likely
would have sexual thoughts?hirhurim. The listener to a female singer in an
opera likely would not, nowadays. Hence, no Lifnei Iver.
>>A women's voice is still  ervah in that Chaza"l decreed that one may not
recite a davar shebik'dusha while hearing her sing, regardless of the
presence or absence of hirhurim. But that is a different Halachic category.
>>Rabbi Yehuda Henkin

    Does this mean you pasken kol isha is muttar lechatchila nowadays except
for devarim shebikedusha? That's a chiddush.
    Also, the previous poster said that walking around in a bikini is assur
in front of non-jews. Is there any problem causing hirhurim for goyim? What
if it's possible there are jews there, but it
is impossbile to tell, and they are a meeut? Are they batel b'rov?
                              KT,

Mike Wiesenberg