[Avodah] fashion models and opera singers

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Wed May 2 14:48:15 PDT 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:41:06 +0000 Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:
>As I said, I don't think it's even a "one side of the river" case.
>But in our case the man has bought his ticket, dressed up, is
sitting
>in his seat, and is going to hear a woman sing, no matter what you
do.
>Your singing isn't even going to cause him to hear more kol isha
than
>he would otherwise do, because if you turn down the gig then the
woman
>who replaces you will sing exactly the same songs, for exactly the
>same amount of time.  And by you taking the gig that other woman
>will *not* sing.

Assuming this is correct, and I'm not commenting on that question
at all, it could imply that there is a problem in a case where the
woman in question would otherwise be replaced by a man, or fewer
songs would be sung.  An open mike, for example, or a talent show.
American Idol, perhaps.

It also could mean that a lifnei iver problem could arise if the
woman in question became sufficiently prominent that her
involvement was a draw.  Certainly when Kathleen Battle sang
Zerlina (for example) there were people who bought tickets, got
dressed up, and sat in their seats precisely because she was
singing.  There were fewer (or no) unsold seats over the run.  So
there would be a real chashash that her singing led to certain
additional people coming.  Of course, she isn't Jewish (AFAIK) so
no problem.  But this question might have been of interest to Belle
Miriam Silverman.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu