[Avodah] Right vs. Wrong; Tzaddik vs. Rasha

Moshe Yehuda Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:00:35 PDT 2007

R'n Boublil:
*When it comes to "the other", I face a complex issue.
*
*Yes, I know what's right or wrong, but I don't know what they are thinking
*or why they are acting as they are doing so.  I recall a tale, several
*years
*ago, of a person who got stoned on Shabbat for driving his car -- and he
*was
*in the process of saving a life.

I agree with R'n Boublil's general thrust, but I think the problem presented
is more complex than she states it. Let's say we have a person Yankel, who
is a Tzaddik Gamur - except that once, he was Malbin P'nei Chaveiro, or one
of the other things which Chazal tell us Ein Lo Cheilek L'olam HaBah.
Compare him to Berel, who is an Am HaAretz Gamur, intentionally transgresses
many Aveiros, and does something that is Koneh Oilamos B'sha'ah Achas.
What if we are unaware of the anomalous behavior of these people (Yankel's
sin and Berel's Mitzvah)? We would clearly say that Yankel is better. The
truth, however is, that Yankel is obviously the one to emulate, but it's
Berel who is going to Olam Habah! So we were wrong in our judgment of Berel
(even though he might actually have the Halachic status of a Rashah, we were
still wrong in what we thought - that he had no redeeming factor.) So,
besides the fact that R'n Boublil is right that it is impossible to know all
the circumstances surrounding every given action, even if we _do_ know all
the circumstances, we still don't know the entire person.
Do we have to judge their actions? Probably, for various practical (like I
said) and spiritual (like R' MSS said) reasons. But we still can't judge the
person, and we have to leave room open that we are wrong about the actions.
The only situation we have that we can judge the actions independent of the
person is in Beis Din. It is only by Beis Din that we say, Ein L'dayin Ela
Mah She'einav Ro'os. Thus, even though Chazal say that Gadol Aveirah L'shma
Yoser M'mitzvah She'lo L'shmah, if someone is Mekoshesh Eitzim with Eidim
and Hasra'ah, he gets killed.

*As for the source in Pesachim quoted, we should recall that when Hillel
*HaZaken and Rabbi Akiva chose to give a single sentence that embodies all
*of Torah, they used terms that were connected to caring, not hating.  They
*were concerned with our own actions more than with what "the other" was
*doing.

I saw a great Vort this Shabbos from one of the Apta Rebbes: He once
publicly lectured that every word in the Torah is Meramez to V'ahavta
L'rei'acha Kamocha. It was Parashas Balak, and a skeptic in the audience
challenged him to find a Remez in the word "Balak." He answered that "Balak"
is Roshei Teivos of "V'ahavta L'rei'acha Kamocha." The person said, "What do
tou mean? 'Vais' is not the same as 'vov', and 'kuf' is not the same as
'kaf'! The Rebbe answered, "That's precisely it - if you concentrate on the
small things that separate us, then you won't ever have V'ahavta L'rei'acha
Kamocha!"

KT,
MYG

P.S. After I wrote this, I feel like I rambled a bit, for which I apologize.
I hope my point comes through.