[Avodah] Right vs. Wrong; Tzaddik vs. Rasha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun May 13 13:40:42 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:19:18AM +0300, Shoshana L. Boublil wrote:
: I do believe that it is a choice we make: do we concern ourselves with
: ourselves and our connection to Hashem, or do we concern ourselves with the
: Other and their connection to Hashem?

I'm reminded of R' Yisrael Salanter's observation. It is common to catch
someone outside announcing that they were looking for a "tenster" for
their minya. But how often does someone stand outside offering food so
that they can have a se'udah?

I'm not sure if this truism is from the same shtikl in Tenu'as haMussar
or a separate quote: Spirituality is concern for my soul and your stomach.

: I generally prefer Rav Kook's take on this matter:

As do I, it's one of the quotes in my random signature generator. (Which
has special behavior for the omer, so I couldn't easily get the quote
on this email.)

: HaTzaddikim HaTehorim Einam Kovlim Al HaRish'a -- Ela Mosifim Tzedek
: Einam Kovlim Al HaKefira -- Ela Mosifim Emunah
: Einam Kovlim Al HaBa'arut -- Ela Mosifim Chochmah (Orot HaKodesh part III)

To answer subsequent questions: This is descriptive of tzadiqim tehorim,
and therefore prescriptive for the rest of us who should be trying to
become tzadiqim tehorim ourselves.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Yesod: When does
Fax: (270) 514-1507      reliability/self-control mean submitting to others?