[Avodah] Right vs. Wrong; Tzaddik vs. Rasha

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Tue May 1 16:19:18 PDT 2007

I would like to offer a summary of this topic, as I see it.

When it comes to right and wrong, I can identify whether what I am doing is
indeed right or wrong.  I can judge myself with assurity as I know my
thoughts, why I am doing what I am doing, and hopefully, I am able to be
honest about myself.

Tzaddik vs. Rasha are value judgements of a person.  It's easy to judge a
person whose Bein Adam LeChaveiro is either all good or all bad, but most
people are not all of one or the other.  Many times, the true value of a
person is only known when they pass away.  I have friends who consider it
their goal in lives to raise "a tzaddik".  This brings to mind Chaim Potok's
book "The Chosen".

I prefer to work to raise a Oheiv Shamayim and Yerei Cheit.  The kid will
have to decide what he chooses to be himself.  Hopefully it will be closer
to tzaddik.

When it comes to "the other", I face a complex issue.

Yes, I know what's right or wrong, but I don't know what they are thinking
or why they are acting as they are doing so.  I recall a tale, several years
ago, of a person who got stoned on Shabbat for driving his car -- and he was
in the process of saving a life.

So - he was wrong to drive on Shabbat.  Some onlookers considered him a
Rasha -- and stoned him.

But - he was saving a life, which is Docheh Shabbat, so he was actually a
Tzaddik, and those who stoned him were endangering not only the person who
was already in danger, but the driver himself, should a stone have harmed
him.

As for the source in Pesachim quoted, we should recall that when Hillel
HaZaken and Rabbi Akiva chose to give a single sentence that embodies all of
Torah, they used terms that were connected to caring, not hating.  They were
concerned with our own actions more than with what "the other" was doing.

I do believe that it is a choice we make: do we concern ourselves with
ourselves and our connection to Hashem, or do we concern ourselves with the
Other and their connection to Hashem?

An article I found on the net presents these ideas better than I did:
http://www.rosh-yehudi.co.il/articles/show.asp?id=44
 (in Hebrew)

I generally prefer Rav Kook's take on this matter:

HaTzaddikim HaTehorim Einam Kovlim Al HaRish'a -- Ela Mosifim Tzedek
                                        Einam Kovlim Al HaKefira -- Ela
Mosifim Emunah
                                        Einam Kovlim Al HaBa'arut -- Ela
Mosifim Chochmah (Orot HaKodesh part III)

The pure Tzaddikim do not complain of evil -- rather, they add justice;
                                do not complain of heresy -- rather, they
add faith;
                                do not complain of ignorance -- rather, they
add knowledge.

Shoshana L. Boublil