[Avodah] 2 most influential poskim

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:36:44 PDT 2007

<<Doron Beckerman claims that the Chofetz Chaim and Rav Moshe Feinstein
are "the two most influential
Poskim in post WWII Jewry."
Rav Ovadiah?  Rav Shlomo Zalman? etc.
Also, if as has been mentioned here before the influence of the
mishnah berurah post-WW II was largely due to the influences of Rav
Kotler and the Chazon Ish -- see Daniel Eidensohn's posts at
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol01/v01n026.shtml and
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol04/v04n003.shtml -- then perhaps it
makes more sense to view Rav Kotler and the Chazon Ish as among the
most influential poskim.>>

In any case the MB is from the 19th century and why count it more than SA.
My personal vote for the 2 most influential modern poskim are the Chazon Ish

and RMF. Certainly in Israel Chazon Ish is the most influential posek.
RAK was basically a RY and not a posek. RSZA would be my second choice
in hilchot shabbat. However, when it comes to modern shailot in 4 parts of
SA
I think that RMF was the most innonative. Just as a trivial example consider
the
question of saying birkhat hagomel for a flight. Most poskim compare it to
going
over water and apply the old criteria. RMF redefines what it means and
flying
is doing something unnatural. Similarly with kitniyot RMF goes to the
basic question of the gezara while the others try and decide if cottenseed
is called
kitniyot etc ...

--
Eli Turkel