[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Apr 17 07:23:38 PDT 2007

Danny Schoemann wrote:

> I see no correlation between: beans, barley, peanuts, mustard and canola
>
> Beans grow in a long pod - many to each pod on bushes or vines
>
> Barley grows on a stalk - each kernel in it's own bran, in  2, 3 or 6
> rows per stalk.

Barley isn't kitniyot, it's dagan.

> Peanut pods (as R' Dov Bloom pointed out) grow underground in bean-like fashion

But they're still pods, just like pea pods.  Hence the name "pea nuts".

> Mustard grows in flowers with seeds about 1 mm in diameter

The seeds are inside pods.  I know because I once grew some.

Zev, posting from Singapore.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.