[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 03:23:18 PDT 2007

As noted by some posters, I did not translate Sharvit when discussing
the criteria for Kitnios.

This is because I have no idea what it means - and I don't seem to be
the only one.

I see no correlation between: beans, barley, peanuts, mustard and canola

Beans grow in a long pod - many to each pod on bushes or vines

Barley grows on a stalk - each kernel in it's own bran, in  2, 3 or 6
rows per stalk.

Peanut pods (as R' Dov Bloom pointed out) grow underground in bean-like fashion

Mustard grows in flowers with seeds about 1 mm in diameter

Canola seems to look like mustard, but the seeds aren't as tiny, I think.

I'll discuss this with my cousin at Opa's Yahrzeit siyum on Thursday
night, and also find out how people can get hold of his Kuntras (as
many list members have asked.)

- Danny