[Avodah] R Asher Weiss

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:30:07 PDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Rich, Joel <JRich at sibson.com> wrote:

> I was listening to a shiur (www.bcbm.org) recently in which R' A Weiss
> made 2 points which I think we've discussed in prior iterations.  Both
> iiuc were primarily based on his "lev shel torah" although iirc he
> brought a source which he felt could be read this way for each.
>

> If one of us and the gadol hador were on a desert island and there were
> only one kzayit of matzah available for pesach and it was our property,
> Hashem would get more nachat ruach if we gave it to the gadol hador to
> be mkayem the mitzvah (and we should act as such - although iiuc we
> would not be compelled to)
>
> Shliach shel adam kamoto applies only to the technical kiyum hamitzvah
> (not sure if this extends to schar) but not to segula of mitzvah (e.g.
> mitzvah gorreret mitzvah)
>
> Comments?
>
> KT
> Joel Rich

I'm not sure what you meant by the last paragraph.  Shlucho shel adam k'moso
is entirely inapplicable here - just like I can't put tefillin on for you, I
can't eat matza for you either.

I don't understand how that can be halachically possible.  You have a chance
to be mekayem a mitzvah, and willingly give it up?  Do you mean that HKBH
get more nachas ruach (whatever that means) from something that is assur?
There is no actual mitzvah to enable someone else to do a mitzvah.

This question reminds me of an argument I heard advanced in my early
elementary school years.  (I can't believe I actually remember this... I am
closer to that age than most Avodah readers, but still...)  The school had a
program collecting the opener thing at the top of soda (or in this case,
apple juice) cans for some tzedaka thing.  The argument was, "If you give
the top to tzedaka yourself, you get one mitzvah, of giving your bottle top
to tzedaka.  If you give it to me, you get the zchus of letting me have a
mitzvah, as well as the zchus that your bottle top ended up in tzedaka."
(Yes, this was 6-7 year olds saying this!)

Michael