[Avodah] R Asher Weiss

Yaakov Moser ymoser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 00:12:21 PDT 2007

> If one of us and the gadol hador were on a desert island and there were
> only one kzayit of matzah available for pesach and it was our property,
> Hashem would get more nachat ruach if we gave it to the gadol hador to
> be mkayem the mitzvah (and we should act as such - although iiuc we
> would not be compelled to)
This would seem to me to be a problem with "passing over Mitzvot" (Ein
Me'avirin Al Hamitzvot), which is Mede'oraita, at least according to
many (based on the Tosfot in Yoma 33a). We sometimes allow a person to
delay a mitzvah if they are going to perform it in a more complete or
beautiful manner later - but to give up a mitzvah so another person can
keep it..? And who knows the reward for a Mitzvah - how can we say which
is more important? In a case such as this I am sure we cannot judge what
gives Nachat Ruach to Hashem.
This is a Mitzvah which a person has to keep for themselves - the person
with the Matzah has the Mitzvah of eating the Matzah, and the Gadol
HaDor is anus.

Jason Moser