[Avodah] Wording of Kaddish

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 21 15:21:50 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 2:51 pm, ramiller500 at aol.com wrote:
: 1.  In the Kaddish, when, where, and by whom was the earliest known
: use of these word forms? (pardon my layman's orthography)---
: a.  Yisgadeil
: b.  V'Yiskadeish
: c.  Tiskabeil
: d.  Any others heard in some shul(s), where a tzeire has (seemingly at
: least!) replaced a patach

As far as I know, c and d are errors caused by (a). IOW, someone is
about to give some reason I never heard for them.

(a) and (b) were discussed in volumes 4 and 6.

The Gra writes that since the opening two words parallel a nevu'ah
from Yechezeqeil, "Hisgadalti veHisqadashti", they should be said in
Hebrew. Even though Qaddish is written in Aramaic. Only problem is,
"Yisgadal veYisqadash" is valid Hebrew AND Aramaic.

The MB writes based on this Gra that it should be "Yisgadeil
veYisqadeish" which is valid Hebrew but not Aramaic. (Which ties in to
the zeicher/zecher thread, another case where the MB makes a new idea
based on something the Gra said but didn't do.)

But, as RDBannett pointed out, "Yisgadal" would also fulfill the Gra's
observation -- or do you lein parashas VaEschanein? (RDBannet's
comment was made on <mesorah at aishdas.org>, a list aimed at discussion
of nusa

The Gra's comment is difficult to understand. The only alternative I
could think of other than the MB's is that the Gaon was speaking in
terms of kavanah.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,