[Avodah] Ahavat Yisrael

Michael Elzufon Michael at arnon.co.il
Sun May 13 10:40:56 PDT 2007

Reb' Shoshana L. Boublil wrote:
> Actually, Rav Kook quotes the Chafetz Chaim in his book "Ahavat Chesed".
> The Chafetz Chaim quotes Rabbi Yehonatan Vohliner: The Din that it is
> allowed or a Mitzva to hate people that don't follow the straight path, is
> only after you reproved (Hochichuhu), but it is forbidden to hate him until
> all the options have been tried.  And, as the Tana'im have already informed
> us "Temeihani Im Yesh BaDor HaZeh SheYode'ah LeHochi'ach" (Arachin 16b)
> Mimeila, it is forbidden (!!!!-SLB) to hate anyone.
>
> Rav Kook continues that nowadays, we are not supposed to use the educational
> tools of Sin'a at all!

Apparently the Chofetz Chaim distinguished between a wayward individual
and a group of deviant people who are undermining the community.

The Mishna Berura in Biur Halacha (1:1), bottom of page 8, "However if a
person is in a place where there are apikorsim who rebel against the
Torah and want to make some decree concerning public matters and because
of that will cause the people to transgress G-d's will. You should
approach them peacefully but if they won't listen ... it is a mitzva to
hate them and to fight them and to nullify their desgns in any way
possible. We know that Dovid (Tehilim 139:21-2) said 'I hate those who
hate You and I will fight against those who rebel against You and I hate
them with pure hatred.' "

Daniel Eidensohn

[MJE] What is the distinction?  Both cases have either a heter or a hiyuv to hate and both condition this on first approaching them peacefully.