[Avodah] Ahavat Yisrael

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Sun May 13 21:29:52 PDT 2007

Michael Elzufon wrote:
> Reb' Shoshana L. Boublil wrote:
>
>> Actually, Rav Kook quotes the Chafetz Chaim in his book "Ahavat Chesed".
>> The Chafetz Chaim quotes Rabbi Yehonatan Vohliner: The Din that it is
>> allowed or a Mitzva to hate people that don't follow the straight path, is
>> only after you reproved (Hochichuhu), but it is forbidden to hate him until
>> all the options have been tried.  And, as the Tana'im have already informed
>> us "Temeihani Im Yesh BaDor HaZeh SheYode'ah LeHochi'ach" (Arachin 16b)
>> Mimeila, it is forbidden (!!!!-SLB) to hate anyone.
>>
>> Rav Kook continues that nowadays, we are not supposed to use the educational
>> tools of Sin'a at all!
>>

>> Apparently the Chofetz Chaim distinguished between a wayward individual
>> and a group of deviant people who are undermining the community.
>>
>> The Mishna Berura in Biur Halacha (1:1), bottom of page 8, "However if a
>> person is in a place where there are apikorsim who rebel against the
>> Torah and want to make some decree concerning public matters and because
>> of that will cause the people to transgress G-d's will. You should
>> approach them peacefully but if they won't listen ... it is a mitzva to
>> hate them and to fight them and to nullify their desgns in any way
>> possible. We know that Dovid (Tehilim 139:21-2) said 'I hate those who
>> hate You and I will fight against those who rebel against You and I hate
>> them with pure hatred.' "
>>
>> Daniel Eidensohn
>>
>> [MJE] What is the distinction?  Both cases have either a heter or a hiyuv to hate and both condition this on first approaching them peacefully.

I was simply assuming that the original citation provided in the name of
the Chofetz Chaim was accurate and thus concerning an individual there
is no basis to hate today since we don't know how to chastise. I wanted
to reconcile it with his clear statement in the Mishna Berura that
hatred is relevant today. However since it has now been asserted that
the Chofetz Chaim never claimed that we don't know how to chastise -
there was no need for the reconcilation.
Daniel Eidensohn