[Avodah] chumrah of Sefardim

Chana Luntz chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Tue May 8 09:58:08 PDT 2007

> On Friday 04 May 2007 04:01:58 am Eli Turkel wrote:
> > In past posts people have discussed various kulot of
> > Sefardim. In his latest halacha yomit ROY paskens that a Sefardi is
not yotzeh with
> > sweet chalah for Lechem Mishneh (and its berachah is mezonot).

Of course while this is a chumra for lechem mishna, it could be viewed
as a kula vis a vis washing and benching (makes it much easier to grab a
snack of challa).

 He

And RKB wrote:

> I do this as much as possible. The sepharadi shuls here are makpid to
> only serve water challah.

I think there are two aspects to ROY's psak:

A) that if a sephardi is making hamotzei he can only do so on water
chala;
B) he cannot be yotzei with an Ashkenazi who is making hamotzei on sweet
chala.

Even if you hold A) and I think a lot of Sephardim do, that does not
necessarily mean that you hold B).  If you hold, as my husband (and his
Rav) does that if one is invited out the correct procedure is to be
yotzei on the kiddush/hamotzei of the baal habayis on the rov am hadras
melech principle (which he is quite machpid on) and if one takes the
view that if it is OK for him, one can rely on his standards, then even
if one holds A) one is not required to bring one's own challos (unless
one is late).  Note you can have the same problem with kiddush, as ROY
and others hold that a lot of the traditional Ashkenazi kiddush wines
(ie the very sweet ones) take a shehakol - but if you follow the rov am
hadrash melech approach, and the mutar for him, OK for me approach, then
it works (BTW if you don't hold a mutar for him, OK for me approach,
then Ashkenazim can have problems eating at a Sephardi home on shabbas,
if the food has been warmed up by doing chazara which is permitted for
Sephardim and forbidden according to most Ashkenazim, but I don't know
anybody who won't permit that).  Of course, there may be issues
regarding benching - but since you are clearly being koveah seuda, it is
hard to see any basis on which one would be able to say al hamicha
rather than bench.

> --Ken

Regards

Chana