[Avodah] chumrah of Sefardim

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:43:08 PDT 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 12:23:52 pm Mike Miller wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Ken Bloom <kbloom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do this as much as possible. The sepharadi shuls here are makpid
> > to only serve water challah. When I do say hamotzi on sweet
> > challah, it's because I know I usually eat a lot of challah anyway,
> > so I'll probably eat the necessary shiur to say hamotzi regardless.
>
> Are we comparing water challah with sweet challah or egg challah?
>
> Forgive my stepping into my wife's territory (we have an arrangement:
> she kneads challah, I bake (aka time + test) it), but many water
> challah recipes, perhaps most, also call for _some_ sugar. The water
> is in contrast to egg, not sweet.
>
> What exactly is the geder of sweet challah that ROY is referring to?

The distinction drawn by the Mechaber is that it becomes mezonot when
the taste is noticible. Even when one adds some sugar in making the
recipe, if the yeast ferments all of the sugar and the taste is no
longer noticible, then it's hamotzi.

There is another similar rule with mei peirot (which includes eggs), and
there too the bread becomes mezonot if the taste is noticible. On this
point, the Rema rules that the bread only becomes mezonot if the
majority of the liquid ingredients are mei peirot.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/