[Avodah] sweet chalot

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sat May 5 11:56:25 PDT 2007

L'maaseh, if you are koveiah seudah, you have to make hamotzi (and do
Netilas Yadayim) on the sweet chalah as well.  So why wouldn't it count
for lechem mishneh?>>

Because ROY paskens that keviat seudah is 216 gram (a lot of challah)
and he paskens like the Chida against Magen Avraham that other
foods are not included in the amount needed to be koveah seudah.
Hence sefardim make mezonot on sweet chalah (unless they eat
a lot of it) and it does not qualify for lechem mishneh

Again the major question for me is what do sefardim in practice when they
are invited out?

BTW in a similar vein we had a discussion in our shul of the ramifications
pf being a "chaver" in the days of the Temple or shortly thereafter. The
case in the gemara is that if one's coat falls and someone else picks it up
then the coat is tameh. One certainly can't
shake hands with most people. We have discussed the problems of men and
women shaking hands in a business setting. I can just see telling one's boss
or customer than you cannot shake his hand because he is an am haaartez!
Being a cohen or chaver was quite restrictive to ones social life

--
Eli Turkel