[Avodah] sweet chalot

mkopinsky at gmail.com mkopinsky at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:46:27 PDT 2007

On 5/5/07, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> L'maaseh, if you are koveiah seudah, you have to make hamotzi (and do
> Netilas Yadayim) on the sweet chalah as well.  So why wouldn't it count
> for lechem mishneh?>>
>
> Because ROY paskens that keviat seudah is 216 gram (a lot of challah)
> and he paskens like the Chida against Magen Avraham that other
> foods are not included in the amount needed to be koveah seudah.
> Hence sefardim make mezonot on sweet chalah (unless they eat
> a lot of it) and it does not qualify for lechem mishneh
>
> Again the major question for me is what do sefardim in practice when they
> are invited out?

This is not that different from the case I've had a few times (including
this week) when I've stayed with people for shabbos, and they have not had
lechem mishneh for shalosh seudos.  (OK, that's significantly different
that at 3S you don't *really* need lechem mishneh.)  This time, my friend
whose family I was with recommended that I just take two pieces of matzah
and make hamotzi on that.  (Tying this back into the original discussion,)
that solution didn't work for him, since he is sfardi and matzah is only
mezonot for him, so he just didn't have lechem mishneh.

KT,
Michael