[Avodah] [Areivim] Fw: fashion models and opera singers

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Tue May 1 09:36:47 PDT 2007

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:12:45 +0000 Harry Maryles
<hmaryles at yahoo.com> wrote:
>But IIRC when Fiddler on the Roof first came to the Chicago stage
>(the play, not the movie), Arie Crown Hebrew Day School used it as
>fund raiser. Of course the subjet of Kol Isha came up. I can't say
>this for sure but I kind of remember that there was a Heter given
by
>RAS (It was about 1966 so as I indicated my memory may be off.)
>
>I believe the Heter was based on the fact that the faces of the
women
>in the play could not be seen from the seats that were being sold
by
>ACHDS and the sound heard was that of a microphone reproduction and
>not their actual voices. If that's true, it may be possible for
this
>talented young lady to pursue a career in opera without violating
>Halacha.

Assuming your memory extends this far: do you recall is this was a
heter to see the show, or to do the fund raiser?  IOW, to what
extent was this a l'chatchila that a frum man should go to the
show?  (I ask out of curiosity; the case at hand of the budding
opera singer is really more like the fund raiser than the
l'chatchila attendance, as far as the kol isha issue is concerned.)

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu